Greetings to you and thank you for you interest in Double OPT-IN For Download… aka DOIFD. I put together a twelve minute video showing you exactly how to set up your first download. Just follow along and you can’t go wrong. Enjoy!
How to setup your first DOIFD download
You want to learn how to set up Double OPT-IN For Download? Well, you have come to the right place. Below you will find step by step instructions on how to set up and configure DOIFD.
( DOIFD? What’s that? It is the abbreviation for Double OPT-IN For Download. It’s easier to say. )
Simply follow each step and you will be ready to start marking your free download in just a few minutes.
Before we begin, I strongly suggest your take a look at the How Does DOIFD Work post. If you understand the workflow of DOIFD, setting it up will make a lot more sense to you.
The post will open in a new window so you won’t loose your place. You can view it by Clicking Here. This tutorial is going under the assumption that you have already installed DOIFD, if you haven’t please do so now. Install it like you would any other plugin….
Step 1 - Create Landing Page
- In the Wordpress admin area click "Pages".
- Then click "Add New"
- Give the page a title/name
- Make sure the editor is in "TEXT" mode, then paste the short code [lab_landing_page] on the page.
- Publish the page, you can come back and style this page later.
This short code is how DOIFD verifies that the user has clicked on a valid link. If the link in the email is valid, DOIFD will present the user with a download button that they can click to retrieve the free download. If the link is invalid or the user has already downloaded the free item the user will be presented with the appropriate message error message.
But I don't want people to find this page!!!!!
- In your SEO plugin, mark this page as "no index". That will keep it from being indexed by the search engines.
- Keep it out of your menus.
- If some one does stumble across it they will not be able to download anything. The download link is only generated when the link is valid.
Step 2 - Mailchimp Info
( Premium Version Only )
If you are using the premium version and are using Mailchimp with it, you want to add your Mailchimp API key, so that DOIFD can communicate with Mailchimp. If you are using the Constant Contact or the Free Version, you can skip this step.
Step 3 - Constant Contact Info
( Premium Version Only )
If you are using the premium version and are using Constant Contact with it, you want to add your Constant Contact username and password, so that DOIFD can communicate with Constant Contact. If you are using Mailchimp or the Free Version, you can skip this step.
- In the DOIFD menu, click “Settings”
- Click Constant Contact Settings.
- Input your Constant Contact username and password.
- Click “Save”.
Step 4 - Upload Your Download
Now we just need to upload your free download.
- In the DOIFD submenu, click on “Downloads”.
- Give your download a friendly name
- Select the Mailchimp List you want to use with this download (Premium Version Only).
- Select the Constant Contact List you want to use with this download (Premium Version Only).
- Select the landing page you created back in Step 1.
- Create a custom Success Message for your download (Premium Version Only).
- Select/Attach your download file.
- Click “Upload Your File”
Step 5 - Add a form to a Post or Page
Now we need to add the DOIFD form to a post or a page. If you are just going to use the widget form, you can skip this step.
- In the DOIFD submenu, click “Downloads”.
- Click the downloads tab so the downloads table is visible.
- Highlight & Copy the shortcode for the download that you want to display the form for.
Now just paste that shortcode in to any page or post to display the form for that specific download.
Step 6 - Widget Form
Now let’s set up the widget form. If you’re not going to use the widget form, you can skip this step.
- In the WordPress admin area, click “Appearance”, the click “Widgets”.
- Look for the “DOIFD Form” widget.
- Drag it to the desired sidebar and put in the desired position.
- Give the wiget a title if you like (Optional).
- Replace the default form header text with your custom text (Optional).
- Add custom text to the submit button (Optional).
- Select the download file you want to associate with this widget.
- Click “Save”.